Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Oooooooh, Mexico

At the risk of sounding like a total jerk, I have to tell you guys something.

Last night, I came home from a week in Mexico.

I hesitate to share this with you at all for a couple of reasons, but mainly because at this point in the winter, those that haven't been somewhere warm want to thwack those that have across the side of the head. (I know it's been a tolerable winter, but I know I sure wasn't sunning myself on Cherry Beach at any point over the past few months. Were you?)

In the interest of keeping things cool between us, I thought I'd spare you the details (which I will, because it won't make matters any better), but I do have a little something to share with you, all of my knitting buddies.

And it has to do with my knitting needles...

That were taken from me...

At the airport...

This happened to me once before in 2008 at Toronto's Pearson Airport as I was getting ready to head off to Sweden. Admittedly, I had an obscene number of knitting needles in my carry-on because... that's kind of a long flight. What a perfect opportunity to knit non-stop for a good 8 hours! (Aren't knitters some of the only people who actually look forward to a long flight!?!?!?)

The security guard saw my tangle of needles on his special little luggage x-ray machine and started to dig through my bag. After confiscating three pairs of Addi Turbos, my Mom had to hold me back from smacking the smirk right off that gross slime ball right then and there.

But wait! When the jerk in the uniform (who was just doing his job) asked me if I had any more, I managed to grunt through my gritted teeth 'No. You've cleaned me out'.

Little did he know... I had four more sets.

Hallelujah for that!
Right?

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon as I was wandering through Cancun security in my semi-sun burned, relaxed-as-Jell-o kind of state.

I watched as my bag was pulled aside, opened up and rummaged through.

My 4.5mm Addi Turbo Lace needles were yanked from my project and chucked into a bin full of other 'naughty-no-fly' goods (and this time, they were my only pair).

The difference this time however?

I just shrugged and told the security staff to have a 'really wonderful day'.



Amazing what a little R&R can do.

1 comments:

ms.tee.kay said...

nooooo! not the addi lace! nooooo! noooo! (and welcome back :)) noooo!