Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Glorious, Glorious Garter Stitch

When I cast this project on, I knew that it would be a bit of an undertaking, but a pretty straight forward, easy-peasy kind of undertaking? Right?

 

Well, yeah... sort of.

While it was pretty easy (not going to lie), it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped. Garter stitch can be one temperamental son-of-a-gun when it wants to be! But I found that once I stepped back from it (and gave it the occasional 'time out'), I realized that it really wasn't so bad.

We knitters just often get to be way too close to our knitting, thus in turn making us way too critical. (Why are we so hard on ourselves anyway!?!?? Isn't this supposed to be a relaxing sport?)


Not only did I find myself a bit discouraged in regards to the quality of my work... but the hours. OH! The hours! I lost track (not that I ever keep track...) after about hour fourteen ka-jillion.

Having said all of that however, was it worth it? All that time and frustration?


Well yeah... It kind of was.


And would I do it again?

Well yeah... I think I would.


At the end of it all, I really and truly love this thing.

It almost makes me wish it was freezing cold outside again. (Yeah. I said it. So sue me.) 

It's just so dang versatile!

No joke. This feels like some kind of heaven.

And just so huge!

A customer knit one of these up and said that her husband uses it for his afternoon naps.

He sounds like my kind of guy.

See? It's massive.

Especially if after his nap he agrees to take her out for a lovely dinner so she can throw it casually over her shoulder like this.

Yeah... Totally terrible picture, I get it.
But I just want to show you that there are options!!! OK?
 
My soon-to-be-brother-in-law would appreciate the multi-functionality of this piece. Perhaps I should consider making another one for him as a wedding gift?

Details you might just want to know (in case, you know, you also have about fourteen ka-jillion hours that you're looking to kill, or you need a wedding gift).

Yarn- 9 balls of Sandnesgarn Mini Alpakka in shade 2025
Needles- 4.5mm
Pattern- This one! (Go on! It's free!)

So dear knitters, despite the hot, hot heat, I pulled this off. I knit the biggest piece of garter stitch I have ever knit out of one of the warmest fibres out there.

But since it might be a little too toasty out there to wear it these days... (but clearly not too toasty to knit!)


I guess I'll just have to sit back and enjoy those beautiful yellow sunflowers until it's time to toss my new yellow wrap around my shoulders.

Stay cool!


4 comments:

ms.tee.kay said...

AMAZING PHOTOS! and amazing garter endurance too - high fives!

kristieinbc said...

I love your garter stitch shawl! I can't imagine knitting it in the middle of the summer though!

Anonymous said...

I'm sold, Lynn. Downloaded the pattern, and just have to decide between yarns. Which is difficult, except there is no reason I can't knit TWO, one for a friend who spends her winters freezing. Loved the pics too.

Candygirlflies said...

Hee... this is my project-of-choice for the Ravelympics!

(OH YES I DID just say that...)

xoxo CGF