Wednesday, December 12, 2012

An Early Christmas Gift To Me- From Me

I thought I might give the wedding talk a rest, and show and tell a little something that I somehow managed to finish up recently. While I can't say that the bulk of the knitting happened recently, the casting off part did- and I'm thrilled.

Not only am I thrilled that I actually finished something, I am thrilled with the finished product. I can't tell you how rare that is... So sad, but so true.

I seem to recall casting this sweater on during one of those BRUTAL hot days last summer. The kind of hot that is too hot to even go swimming because the pool feels like a bathtub. You know?

While I'm not entirely sure what possessed me to cast on a long sleeved, alpaca/wool blend sweater... I did. And not only did I cast it on, I knit the entire darned thing (minus the stupid neckline) during the hot, hot heat of the summer.

  

And am I ever pleased that I did.

Because that Mother Nature of ours kept her promise, and winter has indeed rolled around once again.

And I have found myself with a lovely new warm sweater to head out and chop down a Christmas tree in next weekend. 'Tis the season for long sleeves and wool!

An early Christmas present to me, from me you could say.
Necklines and Raglans

I must confess that this sweater would have likely sat in a pile on the floor for even longer than it did had it not been for some kind customers that gave me the kick in the pants I needed to get 'er done.Why is it that I can be so close to the finish line, and then bail and move onto another project? Another project that will also likely lie on the floor until someone sets me straight...

What the HECK is my problem?

Yeah no... I did not knit that hat

This sweater was well worth the effort however and I'm eternally grateful for that much needed kick to the finish line.

So much so, that I intend to cast on another one of these as soon as the Yuletide festivities are behind us.

I will be sure to let you know when I'm ready to do the neckline and need a firm talking to regarding seeing it through until the end. Be as harsh as you want. I'll need it.


While I would be the first to admit that this sweater isn't anything entirely exciting, it's something that is entirely wearable- and I like that. Perfect for the cozy weekends indoors that lie ahead and perfect for those late night skates on the public rink after dinner.

Like I said, it's perfect.

Certainly not the workmanship... but the idea of this sweater is perfect.


And that's good enough for me.

You know what else is perfect?

Nail Polish- Butter of London in Wallis
Purchased at Blossom Lounge



How well my tacky nail polish matches my green sweater.

Festive, indeed.

Some sweater details to keep you warm as follows:

Pattern- Basic Chic Pulli by Bonne Marie Burns over at Chic Knits (I opted against the waist shaping so that I can eat as much as I want at Christmas dinner and not look pregnant in my newly knit sweater)
Yarn- Berroco Ultra Alpaca 5 skeins in a lovely shade of green, and some little leftovers from my Vonica for the cast off on the waistband and cuffs
Needles- 4.5mm for the body, 4mm for all of the ribbing

And you know what else??? It's knit all in one piece.


Perfect.

Am I right or am I right?

WHAT!?!?!? Blue poinsettias?!?!?

Felice Navidad to you all!

10 comments:

craftedlandscape said...

I LOVE IT! and the colour is amazing on you. Well done!

ms.tee.kay said...

TOTALLY perfect - especially the red detailing on the cuffs and bottom. SO so nice :)

Michelle said...

It's outstanding! I love the color, the yarn, the pattern. It's all really wonderful.

lilly1717 said...

I love the nailpolish. It looks so ...well....put together! :)

Candygirlflies said...

"Fleece" Navidad, to you, my dear...

LOVE the nailpolish, and love even MORE the sweater knit all in one piece!!

(I finished my mum's dreaded sweater, btw, all fresh and ready for Christmas. BUT-- ask me if I've sewn the damn thing together yet. Ahem.)

xoxo CGF

Anonymous said...

well done !
i do remember the beginning of this sweater, and it was indeed during a HOT spell.
looks great on you!
helga

Anonymous said...

I love it! It is perfect...knitting and all!!

Lynn

Susan said...

This came out really awesome! At first I thought you were going to be blogging about the scarf, because the sweater looks so perfect it doesn't look homemade!

Anonymous said...

I think the sweater looks so perfect because it IS homemade!! I love the red detail too - great idea.

Triona said...

It looks fantastic! One of those ones where you'd never guess it was handmade unless someone told you. And it suits you perfectly. Awesome job. :-)