Monday, January 15, 2007

Mohair cupcake on me

Remember how I didn't want to divulge any information regarding my cupcake inspired project? Well... I feel as though now that the project is complete, I can talk a wee bit about it.

First, a photo.
Well, alright... maybe two.
I can't take the credit for it really... other than alright, I guess I did knit it. A customer at the store marched in wearing this vest over the holidays and I fell so in love with it because she had knit it out of the exact yarn I had been gushing over for ages but just couldn't decide what to do with it. She so kindly took the vest off of her back and let me try it on.
I cast on as soon as my knitting needles would behave.
Now, the only thing that I really did differently than the dear customer was go up one needle size (to a 6.5 mm) and pull it across to make the button and buttonhole. Her vest just lies open. I needed more... coverage?
The yarn is by Needful Yarns and it's called Piccadilly. It has that perfect blend of colour... fuzz and sparkle. Dress it up... or dress it down? I like the in between stages. You can go anywhere.

The pattern... was one from the customer's head. And you know what???? It couldn't be easier. Because, it's a rectangle!
Yup.
It's true.

Cast on 180 stitches. Knit 2, Purl 2 for 6".
Decrease down to 90 stitches.
Knit in stocking stitch for about 17" total (including the ribbing).
Increase back up to 180 stitches and knit 2, purl 2 for 6".
Cast off.
Sew the top and bottom edges of the ribbing together (this will be where the armpit is approximately).
And there you have a vest... For the buttonhole, I just left a little gap in the seam as I was sewing and there it was!

You could do this with pretty much any yarn and I do intend to experiment with others. If using Piccadilly though, it takes 4 balls.

It made it's big debut today and I am happy to report that my torso remained toasty even through this snowstorm of a Halifax kinda day.

Enjoy, and do let me know if you give it a go. I'm sooooo nosey.

6 comments:

Monika said...

Hi Lynn, your jacket turned out nice and looks quite cozy. Hannah says Hi and so do I.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn....Looks great and so cozy for this freezing weather....Stay warm...
MJC xo

Anonymous said...

Lynn,
I love this top! Looks so good and so comfortable at the same time. Congrats on the completion!
A younger sister of yours.
HC

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I love love love it!

TK

morgan said...

That looks fantastic and y, it's a v.versatile pattern-though I havn't explored it too much. It would be amazing with the larger sections in a lace rib!? I am also v.inspired by cupcakes! lol but I havn't been able to apply it as well as you have!

Anonymous said...

LYNNN! that is so nice! I think i like it even more with the button.
Great Job!