Friday, October 17, 2014

"Officially" Done

As some of you may now know... I have finally finished The Shawl That Took Me Longer Than Anything I Have Ever Knit In My Entire Life. Those who know me well, know how much time I spent on this project. In fact... those of you who don't know me at all, other than from this here blog know how much time I spent on this project. And while I loved every minute of it, and would even go so far as to say that I miss working on it... I am so happy that I am done with it. 

And not just "done with it" in the "Yah, I'm done. I cast off. I just need to sew in the ends, block it and get it up on Ravelry" sense of the term. 

I am ACTUALLY done. 

I have cast off. I have sewn in the ends. I have blocked it, and I have it up on Ravelry

That's about as 'done' as any knitting project could possibly get.


Since I am fortunate enough to have a lot of really good people (aka 'knitters') in my life who just 'get it' when a project of such proportions comes off the needles, I had one show up at my door on the Monday of the Thanksgiving long weekend and say "Come on! Get outside and let me take your picture with your beautiful new shawl!" (Okay... not really... I might have actually known that she was coming, but still... It is insanely nice of her to crawl out of bed on a holiday Monday to come over to my place and snap some pics!)


So here you have it. A collection of photos taken by my good friend Tara. Not only does her photography beautifully capture the most colourful time of year, it also does a pretty good job of capturing a project that can easily claim the title of 'most colourful', as least as far as my Ravelry project page is concerned.


As it just so happens, I bought this yarn while in London with my family, visiting my sister last February. In the days leading up to our trip, my husband asked me what I was looking forward to most. I replied with "I can't wait to walk into Liberty, with all the time in the world, and pick out a pattern, some yarn and some needles to make a project for ME". While I could tell he was a tad puzzled that I didn't respond with "I can't wait to go to the Imperial War Museum with YOU honey!" he knows better than to react negatively to such a statement. At least not to my face anyway. (Why the heck do you think I married him!?!?!?)


So the reason for telling you all of this?

Conveniently... I happen to have a ticket to take me back to dear London scheduled for this coming Sunday.

My birthmark arrived later in life, in the form of a dot of grey hair on the back of my head.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
I couldn't have 'officially' finished this project at a better time.

Details of the yarn, pattern and needles can be found here
And what exactly do you think I'm most excited about doing in London this time around?


I think you all know me well enough at this point to hazard a pretty good guess.

Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend Flowers at the Parental's

Cheerio!

9 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It's beautiful! And worth every stitch!

ms.tee.kay said...

it is one of the LOVELIEST things i've ever seen. truly, you have flair!

Breathing Life said...

So very very beautiful. And you look fabulous in it!

Meghan Chapman said...

Beautiful! Also, awesome haircut!

Phyllis said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. When I see projects like this I wish I was a master knitter too. I absolutely love these colours. (Haircut too!)

Gloria said...

Your shawl looks just right for the cold Canadian winter. I am still looking for a yarn store in which I can navigate my way around :( Miss you and your mom so much.

Unknown said...

Your shawl is absolutely beautiful Lynn. Congratulations.
I also checked out the link to the Liberty store and they gave no information for wool or patterns. Is this the correct store you are talking about?

Michelle said...

WOW. That is breathtakingly beautiful! I would wear it everyday, which in itself is a good reason to knit one, but I'm scared of the commitment involved, so I think I'll favorite it and stew over it for a while first.

KnitTwit said...

Awesome! Well done!!!

And nice photos too!