Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Sick, With A Dash Of Sparkle

Last week, I was sick. Like... I was DOWN. The edges of my nostrils were peeling from blowing it too much, my body was rolling through a 'hot, cold, hot' temperature cycle, and I couldn't taste my food for what felt like... an eternity. A real hardship when you love to eat as much as I do.

Admittedly, I'm a big baby when I'm sick. But aren't we all?

The nice thing about being a knitter however, is that even being sick has it perks. While I didn't leave my house for days and I was pretty much the grossest I have been in a loooong time, I got to knit.

I propped myself up on pillows, allowed myself some daytime Downton Abbey marathons, and I knit.

And occasionally I would think to myself, "What do non-knitters do when they get sick???"

Cool pants Lynn!

So while I was cooped up in the house in my ugly grey sweatpants, I cast on some yarn that conveniently arrived at the shop the morning I went down.

Sock yarn, with SPARKLES.

Socks = the perfect thing to knit while sick. Round and round and round...
Sparkles = a sure thing to cheer you up when you're feeling a little bit blue.

Plain socks means minimal thinking required. A real bonus when your brain is ensconced in... the common cold.
 
FACT- One side effect of cold medication is that your stripes will match
 So while being sick usually makes you feel like you are a burden to the world and all those that you love, at least I was able to proudly hold up a pair of sparkly, matching socks at the end of my few days in isolation and say "Hey guys... look at what I made!".


Although... I must admit that these socks were knit with none other than me in mind.

Because let's be real. When I'm sick... I become a rather self-centred whiner who just sing-songs 'Me, Me, Me' at every chance.

So yeah... the socks are for, ME. (Sniffle, sniffle).

The sparkle is there, but the sparkle is subtle

Yarn- Opal Hundertwasser SPARKLE!
Needles- 2.5mm Signature Stilettos DPNs
Pattern- The one in my rather foggy head

And finally- some tulips.

Not only were these a 'Get Well Soon' gift from my lovely sister... (which worked, BTW!)


They are also a wonderful reminder that Spring really isn't all that far away.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

So glad you are feeling better, AND that you have a lovely pair of socks to help redeem your temporary misery! :D

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I just finished a pair of sparkly socks too - definitely cheerful!

Candygirlflies said...

Sparkles make EVERYTHING better.

And, of course, the thought of spring, too... Although at the moment, I'm loathe to actually believe it!!

xox cgf