Sunday, April 22, 2012

It's A Frosty Day For the Circus

My mother has made many comments in the past in regards to her four children and their very different personalities. If there are four seasons, four elements, four humours and four temperaments, my parents managed to make four babies that fell into each ones of those four 'whatevers'.
One might argue that I am the loudest of the bunch. (This shocks you, doesn't it?) I tend to be pretty loud with my voice, pretty loud with my colour selections and pretty loud with my... well, you get it.

My sister Heather (pictured below) tends towards the slightly more quiet side of the spectrum.

These cowls- case and point.

Please note that I am wearing my Dad's shoes in this picture.
My feet are not actually longer than my legs.

A while back, we decided to cast on this project together. I had picked up a ball of Rowan Kidsilk Haze Stripe at Liberty while visiting my other sister in London last November (my single, solitary yarn souvenir of that trip) and Heather was gifted this ball from someone special.

I'd like you to take a moment to notice the mega contrast in colour choices. While I know that this yarn only has five colourways in the range, I'm pretty sure that we both landed the two most opposite colourways of the lot.

The name of Heather's colourway is 'Frost'.

The name of my colourway is 'Circus'.

And I'm pretty sure that my parents (or anyone that knows the two of us for that matter) will acknowledge that the names of these colourways are entirely appropriate to the knitter.

We were just waving to our Aunt who had popped her head up in the window.
But let's pretend that we're waving at you- shall we?

This isn't to say that Heather has a frosty personality of course. That's not the case at all. It's more that her personality, wardrobe and living space have a certain calmness about them, much like that of a quiet and frosty winter morning.

My personality, wardrobe and living space however.... yeah.

You get it.

Right?

Once a bossy older sister, always a bossy older sister

Now despite deciding on the same knitting project together, this certainly does not mean that we chose to go about making these cowls in the exact same manner. We're not twins afterall.

Heather knit her cowl using the entire ball of yarn.

I followed the pattern and knit to the length as indicated- a mere 42".

While Heather had the patience to knit her way through every last inch of yarn, I had to get back to my three ring circus ASAP (and now have a weird little ball of yarn leftover that will languish in my stash for years and years and years until I have another flood and am forced to throw it out).

Huh?

Did someone say circus?


Sisterly Details

Pattern- Churchmouse Yarns and Teas Mohair Bias Loop
Yarn- On Heather- Rowan Kidsilk Haze Stripe in shade 203 'Frost'
On me- Rowan Kidsilk Haze Stripe in shade 205 'Circus'
(Good news is that you don't have to go to London to get this yarn- we have all the colours in stock at the shop!)
Needles- 6.5mm



And for those of you wondering how the wee chicks are making out.

Well... you might say that Mother Nature isn't very kind to any little creature out there while they're going through puberty. 



So don't feel too badly about those pictures you have kicking around the house from your 'ugly ducking' phase.

We've all got them- even these guys.


4 comments:

ms.tee.kay said...

Amazing cowls - and you both look adorable too!!!

Truly Myrtle said...

I love your bright cowl - cheery right through the winter!
I had to laugh out loud at your "dad's shoes" I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out!

Renee said...

Love those cowls. My sister and I are the same - if she knitted, I'm sure she would have a few more muted colours in her stash than I do!

Nadia said...

Oh man, I totally scoped this pattern out recently and have also been meaning to make it. Now I can see that I MUST! Your guys' turned out so great!