Saturday, March 31, 2012

A "Crochet Clean Up"

Last weekend, my boyfriend and I were sitting at my kitchen table and discussing what bad habits we possess that might really bother the other guy, should we ever decide to cohabitate. As kind and loving as my guy is, he finally came to admit that should that day come, something would have to be done with my yarn. He has promised an entire room dedicated exclusively to my yarn collection if we get a place someday (and that won't even begin to house it all...), but he would really rather that I not leave it 'decoratively' displayed in each and every corner of my house.

From what I've been told, successful relationships demand much compromise. (Am I right all you happily coupled people out there???) So if I can have a room for my yarn, he can have a wall for his motorcycle pictures. Sound like a deal?

Before agreeing to this motorcycle wall however, I of course did my best to argue that my house is not in fact littered with yarn in every corner... but he got me. He pointed at a bag of yarn that was sitting (beautifully) on the floor (remember, we're in the kitchen now) and said 'Lynn, how long has that bag of yarn been sitting in that spot???'

Busted.

I had to fess up. He knew the truth- and the truth is... the yarn had been there since August.

It's March now.

He had a point.
It was time to clean up that yarn.
Right?

Right.

So I did.



Well... I sort of did.
Monday evening I started hooking away and by Wednesday night, I had a baby blanket.
Was I ever pleased as punch when I was able to show off my freshly crocheted baby blanket to him on Thursday evening over dinner.


I am absolutely as shocked as you are that I managed to plough through this thing as quickly as I did. I go to work each day, I shower, I eat properly... So how did I do it?


The truth of the matter is, I had very little to do with it. Crochet is just one heckuva speed demon! Especially when you knit as much as I do. To have knit a baby blanket in that amount of time would never have happened in my knitting world (I'm not known for my speed-knitting skills).

The colours were addictive and the stitch pattern rhythmic.

I couldn't put it down.


So much so in fact, that I immediately began to feel withdrawl symptoms as soon as I had sewn in that last end. It was as though this project had moved too quickly, and I wasn't ready to let it go just yet.

The solution to this problem?

Easy.

Start another one.

So, I did.

Fast, Fun Facts

Pattern- Vintage Crocheted Blanket by Churchmouse Yarns and Teas
Yarn- Diamond Luxury Collection Superwash Merino Aran
10 colours, 11 balls (one ball of each, plus two for the main colour)- we have kits at the shop
Hook- 5mm (I believe that the pattern called for a 4mm, but I went for a 5mm anyway- I'm bad like that, you know?)


So now that I have proven that the yarn in every corner does in fact serve a purpose...

Do you think I can talk him out of that 'motorcycle wall'?


I think I might just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

4 comments:

Charmaine said...

LOL!! My boyfriend also scratched his head when he saw all my pottery clay, glazes and tools lying in my thatch roof shed and said 'Where do you think this is all going to fit into our house together'. So I can sympathize with you, all though I don't have a huge yarn collection as I'm still a novice getting inspiration from great blogs like yours.
I'm croheting little peach colored cell phone covers with felt penguin motives on for my kids new Tracfone LG800G smart phones as I don't want them to get their touchscreens scratched as I paid $50 ea for them. I'm only paying $6/month for 40 minutes for each kid, a bargain for sure.
I love decorating the pouches ipads, nooks and cell phones with bright colored fabric dots, felt animals and flowers.

Monika said...

It's beautiful! I love the colors and the stitch pattern.

pam said...

It's beautiful, Lynn! And I have several friends expecting! With a quick, and, hopefully, easy, project like that one could probably churn out a few in a short time...Just promise me it won't set be back as much as the Mountain Colors throw! lol

Meghan Chapman said...

dude, you have to talk him out of the motorcycle wall!

Beautiful blanky!