Monday, January 23, 2012

My Peer Pressure Poncho

It's no secret that I'm an absolute sucker for knitting-peer-pressure. I see something I like that someone else has made, they merely suggest that I make one too, and I almost always secretly cast on in the quiet of my own home. (It happens more than you think... you just only ever see the projects that I actually finish).

This poncho, is one of those peer pressure kinda projects.

Churchmouse released their new line up of patterns a few months back and my head was just spinning. I was entirely unable to focus on just one (or even two, or THREE!) patterns that I was going to cast on. I wanted to go home with the binder full of patterns and cast on every single one in ONE NIGHT.

But that... would be really stupid (even I know better than that...).

However, after many conversations with friends, family and customers about how wonderful this poncho was, I just couldn't resist. I felt like I had to 'take one for the team'. I had to cast on, and cast off so that everyone else who was admiring it could decide for themselves if this was a project they wanted to tackle.


If you're on the fence, I hope that seeing it modelled by someone who isn't actually a model (if you thought I was a model, I'm flattered- you're obviously new to this blog...), and photographed by a photographer who isn't actually Jared Flood (sorry Heather) you will be able to make up your mind.

It's just so easy to be seduced by the styling of a pattern sometimes! (Hello, Rowan?)



Hopefully these photos will un-seduce you and help you decide with a clear head if this is something you actually want in your wardrobe.

As for my train of thought, it has gone something a little like this...

Did I ever think I wanted a poncho?
Heck no.

Am I ever glad that I have this one though?
Heck yes.

Even if I don't look exactly like the model on the pattern.


But I can always try.



Info you might want to know (I'm totally trying to peer pressure you here).

Pattern- Churchmouse Yarns and Teas Easy Folded Poncho (we have copies at the shop)
Yarn- 8 balls of Filatura Di Crosa Sportwool
Needle- 4mm 60cm Addi Lace (it's just what I had in my giant bag of knitting needles... and I absolutely enjoyed knitting with those lethal sharp tips!)


A brief lesson in tension- I'm a super tight knitter (or so I'm told), and I used almost eight balls of yarn to power through this. A dear customer however used only five. Granted, she didn't knit the cowl, but I assure you that there isn't three balls of yarn in that cozy little cowl neck.

I just... thought you'd be interested to know.

To all you tight knitters out there- always buy yourself an extra ball of yarn.


And to all of you who planted your amaryllis at Christmas time...


I hope it has finally popped open to say 'hello'.

0 comments: