Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Cabled Helmet- A Wardrobe Essential, Of Course!

If you live in this part of the world, you will recall the disasterous snow storm that hit us last Wednesday, February 2nd (yup, Groundhog Day). Schools were shut down, buses were cancelled and many people worked from home. While it's rather difficult to work from home when you work in retail (if you have any suggestions, I'm open), I still managed to swing a day at home (working with one's mother is truly not as bad as it sounds).

As I was 'working from home' and keeping track of all those various groundhogs and their shadows (Spring is coming people! Relax.), I happened to cast on this warm hat.



And by the end of the day, I had the large bulk of it done. (I also had a pesky twitch in my left eye settle in which I am still trying to get rid of).

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Lynn, you really should have used a lighter colour so that we can see the cables better". Yeah. I'm picking up what you're laying down- but when you're snowed in, you knit with what you've got on hand. Right?

This hat sort of makes me look like I could win a battle horseback- doesn't it?

Aaaaaand I happened to have three balls of Naturally's Aran Tweed in my house, originally intended for another snowy day stocking stitch beret.

I have doubts that that beret will ever come to be.

Head butt!

Yarn? Naturally's Aran Tweed in shade 85, 3 balls
Pattern? Deborah Newton's cabled hat from the cover of the latest Vogue Knitting Winter 2011
Needles- 5 mm
Love Factor- Big time



Now, in a perfect world I would have put a loooovely pompom on the top of this hat just as I would a cherry on a cake.

But check out my terribly pathetic attempt.


It was left for the birds.

And at $10.00/ball, I sure wasn't going to risk wasting even more yarn than I already did on this stupid thing.

Lesson learned- never try to make a pompom from wrapping yarn around a book of matches. Invest in a Clover pompom maker.

Dear knitters, I hope you also have a big hat/helmet to keep you warm.


Because baby, it's cold out there.

3 comments:

Carla said...

Nice hat! I loved our "snow day." It wasn't really that snowy, we just all wanted a day at home. I got a lot of work done on a mitten that day.

Anonymous said...

Great hat. I like yours better than the one on the cover of Vogue (unless I'm thinking of the wrong one.) Nice details on the earflaps. I agree about the pom pom maker. Don't use your iPhone either... just sayin'.
As for the snow day... Our school was open and I was just as glad to send N to school for the afternoon and enjoyed the quiet!
Heather

Anonymous said...

LOVE it! I walked to the magazine store just to check out the cover and see what you were talking about. Looks great!

-EC